Early Period Life Class Area
Welcome, we invite you to join us learning and having fun in the Early Period Life village.
We are proud to offer a wide variety of classes for all ages, including the younger war attendees. Young people must bring along a parent or responsible adult per site and society rules. Please check the schedule for classes and age limits.
Early Period Life class area is located at the west end of Queen’s Highway on the right side of the road. EPL offers a wide variety of classes focused on Western Europe pre-1066 village life including woodworking, black smithing, pottery, cooking, fiber arts and much more. Even if you aren’t interested in a class, you are welcome to come explore the buildings and see what’s going on each day.
- The Boicewright Woodshed broke ground in 2011 and with the help of friends and numerous class attendees constructed a beautiful building using early period construction techniques. The woodshed continues to host woodworking classes all week. Come by anytime to check out the building, learn or just watch the wood chips fly.
Rusty Anvil Smithy
- The Rusty Anvil Smithy offers classes for beginning through advanced blacksmiths. The fires will be lit every day at 9 AM.
- The Kitchen area features a sheltered bread oven, preparation building and fire pits for cooking.
Senestor Pottery Area
- The Pottery features a wood fired kiln and specializes in classes to learn the art of working clay. If your piece is completed prior to Wednesday, we will do our best to have it fired and available to pick up Saturday morning after 9am. Please check in for any changes if there is inclement weather.
Fiber Arts Building
- Wind and rain won’t slow down our fiber enthusiasts. Come in and learn about all the fiber things.
Classroom Shelter A
- General classes daily under shelter from the elements. Look for the red and yellow open sided structure.
- Built in 2000, the longhall, with a center recessed fire pit, is a lovely place to hang out in the shade on hot days or around a warm fire when it’s cold outside.
Clan Gambit Class Area
- Our Eastern neighbors in Clan Gambit have a great structure dedicated to casting metal and other arts.
GRG Class Area
- Our newest class area located across the road from the entry of EPL offers a range of cooking classes using Norse and Roman inspired implements.
Activities in addition to classes
- Silent Auction with wonderful donated items starting on the first Sunday 9AM through 4PM Wednesday when winners will be announced. Don’t miss the last minute bidding for your favorite item.
- Open Demonstration Day with skilled artisans to answer your questions on Wednesday 9AM to 4PM
EPL cannot offer such a great area and class schedule without help from wonderfully talented and dedicated volunteers. Thank you so much to all the great teachers and staff that support the Early Period Life village experience.
Mistress Bridget Edan,OL
EPL Class Coordinator